Topic: Frankley Road School Teachers' Residence, 407 Frankley Road (1888)

Topic type:

407 Frankley Road 2017

2017 View

The front section of this home was constructed in 1888 as the teachers' residence for the neighbouring Frankley Road School. The residence was designed by well known New Plymouth architect James Sanderson (see linked newspaper articles).

The original section is clad in square profile rusticated (ship-lap) weatherboard, with additions clad in battened plywood. An extension was added to the western-rear side of the house in 1907 to provide a larger dining room. The interior of the home retains many original features including doors and fireplaces.

The teachers' residence is constructed on part of Section 68 Grey District, with the south-western corner of section 68 purchased by the education board in July 1888 from owner Mr Tatton for the purposes of constructing a teachers residence. Prior to 1888, the Frankley Road School was one of only a few schools without a teachers residence - the school master/teacher often had to live away from their family as there was no suitable accomodation near the school; the education board would not even contribute towards rent costs!

Even when the residence was finally constructed, it was initally going to have no internal linings - the school committee asked that at least the "ceilings in one or two of the bedrooms" be lined! The school master later complained that the residence was very damp on account of their being no internal wall linings - so the board was obliged to add these at a later date.

During the 1980s the house was extensively renovated and an extra floor added above the rear lean-to. As of June 2017, resource consent applications have been received by the council to subdivide the section into 8 lots - this was granted and the teachers' residence now sits on a smaller allotment. 

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I14 page 40; CT TN20/297

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Frankley Road School Teachers' Residence, 407 Frankley Road (1888)


City:New Plymouth