Topic: 412A Devon Street East (1901)

Topic type:

412A Devon Street East

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive double gable villa was constructed for Stanley John Smith about 1901. 

Smith purchased Town Section 2046 from J. Skinner (probably John Skinner), in early-July 1901. Soon after, in mid-July, New Plymouth architect John Arthur Maisey advertised for tenders for the "Erection of a Residence, Devon Street, for Stanley Smith Esq". However, it is unclear if this advertisment refers to this house, or the villa at nearby 406 Devon Street East, also constructed for Stanley Smith at this time - it is possible Maiseydesigned both houses.

Stanley Smith sold the property to J. Woodard in May 1902. 


Tenders for Stanley Smith Residence, TH, 22 July 1901, Page 3

Taranaki Herald, 22 July 1901

 

Architect John Arthur Maisey

Maisey was born in 1860 in Birmingham England, where he practiced for a number of years. He arrived in New Plymouth with his family in 1897 and farmed on Barrett Road for several years, selling his farm in June 1900, and moving into New Plymouth soon after. Maisey is not well known in New Plymouth, although he apparently designed a significant number of local buildings (most notably the 1904 New Plymouth Exhibition Buildings - a 'temporary' structure located on Poverty Flat/St Michael's Square), before shifting to Wellington in early 1905. In Wellington Maisey practiced in partnership with Henry Johns from 1905 until his retirement in 1908 - in just three years Maisey and John designed over 40 buildings.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion