Topic: 107 Pendarves Street (circa 1896-97)

Topic type:

A late Nineteenth Century cottage on Pendarves Street

107 Pendarves Street 2017

2017 View Before Restoration: By Hamish Crimp

This house was very likely constructed during late-1896 or early-1897 - the home is characteristic of early New Plymouth villa's constructed before 1900 (the shape of the front gable window and roof profile above this are a good indicators of an 1890s construction date). 

The eastern portions of Town Sections 1604 and 1629 were owned by Jonathan C. Adams between 1879 and late 1896, and remained vacant during his period of ownership - rate books for both 1894-95 and 1896-97 confirm no dwellings were present on the sections at t start of these rating years.

The sections were purchased by Mary Lawson in 1896, and both this house and 92 Lemon Street were probably constructed soon after - it can just be seen in several circa late 1890s images held by Puke Ariki. It is unclear if the Lawson's lived here initially as they are thought to have owned property at Vogeltown, although it appears Mary may have shifted here following the death of her husband John Lawson, and stayed here until her death in 1917. 

The present owners have removed the asbestos cladding and are reinstating the original rusticated weatherboards - they should be congratulated for restoring this historic home. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

107 Pendarves Street (circa 1896-97)


City:New Plymouth