Topic: 31 Rogan Street (1909)

Topic type:

31 Rogan Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive villa was constructed in 1909 for George Francis Robinson, with the architect being Frank Messenger.

A permit was granted to Robinson on the 5th of August 1909 for the construction of a residence on Town Section 1758, Eliot and John (now Rogan) Streets - Frank Messenger was noted as the architect, and the estimated construction cost was £696.

The home is in largely original condition, although it is now mostly hidden from view behind a home constructed on the Eliot Street frontage in the 1940s.

History of Town Section 1758

Town Section 1758 (along with surrounding sections including 1759), were purchased by Thomas Ellis in January 1881 - he built a house which appears to have been later demolished. 

The property was purchased in 1892 by a Mrs Brewster, who sold the property in April 1893 to C. F. Richmond (Board of Governors, New Plymouth High School), who in turn sold the property to land agent F. P Corkill in 1897 - the section appears to be empty when being marketed by Corkill, who on-sold it to W. F. McAllum in November of 1898. McAllum presumably sold it to the Robinsons in the early 1900s.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion