Topic: "Hosking House" or "Holmwood" 1 Victoria Road (1894)

Topic type:

"Hosking House" is one of New Plymouth's oldest and prettiest villas. It was designed by architect P. G. Smith for W. Shephard in 1894, and was originally called "Holmwood"

Hosking House 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

Hosking House, named by the current (2017) owners, is the sole survivor of three similar villas constructed in 1894, on Victoria Road between Pendarves and Gilbert Streets.

Town Sections 1023, 1024, and 1025 were purchased by W. Shephard in August 1894 from New Plymouth Land Agent W. J. Spurge. Advertisments were then placed in the Taranaki Herald in late August 1894 by architect P. G. Smith calling for tenders for the erection of three cottages for W. Shephard Esq, on Carrington Road (see linked article).

The three villas appear to have originally been named "Mount Pleasant" (probably Section 1023), "Holmwood" (probably Section 2024 - this villa) and "Brookside" (probably Section 1025). All three villas were listed for sale as "recently built" in December 1894 using these names. Puke Ariki holds a panoramic photograph showing the villas, dated 1896 (linked). 

Notable New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger designed additions for 1 Victoria Road in 1905 - a permit was granted by the Borough Council on 05 May 1905.

The building is clad in ship-lap and rusticated weatherboard and retains its original single-pane double hung sash windows. Hosking house is located within a precinct notable for its high number of intact heritage and character homes - a rarity in New Plymouth. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion