Topic: 149 St Aubyn Street, Part Town Section 121 (circa 1840s-60s)

Topic type:

Tucked away at the back of this section sits an early New Plymouth cottage thought to date from the 1840s-1860s period

149 St Aubyn Street 2017

 

Little is known about this cottage, however it is thought to date from the early decades of European settlement in New Plymouth; most likely the 1840s-1860s period. With the removal of the last Young Street board and batten cottages in the 1990s, 149 St Aubyn Street is likely the only remaining building from the early period of the Devonport settlement still in its original location.

Currently clad in fibrolite, the cottage is thought to have originally been clad in vertical board and batten, and in a similar style to other cottages within this early area of New Plymouth known as 'Devonport'. It is likely the cottage also once had six-pane double-hung sash windows (now replaced) - it is possible the original clading remains under the fibrolite.

Town Section 121 was originally allocated to settler John Edwards in the 1840s; the agents for the original purchase were Brown & Goodall. The Crown Grant was not officially issed until 1885, longa after Edward had sold the property. 

The New Plymouth Town Board Rating Book for 1875-76 values Town Section 121 at £35.

The front section is possibly a 'later' addition - although a cottage appearing to have two sections is located on Skinner's 1880 map of New Plymouth in approximately the current building's location, on Town Section 121.

This cottage is almost identical to the cottage located at 35 Hine Street, with both having an original section at the rear, and a slightly later addition at the front.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

149 St Aubyn Street, Part Town Section 121 (circa 1840s-60s)


City:New Plymouth