Topic: Henry Rogers Shop and Residence, 77 Eliot Street (circa 1881)

Topic type:

This late Nineteenth Century building has been a feature on the corner of Eliot and Pendarves Streets for over one hundred years

77 Eliot Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

Situated on the corner of Eliot and Pendarves Streets on part of Town Section 1628, this building has been both a shop and a private residence throughout its history.

It seems likely that this building was constructed about 1881 for Henry Rogers. Mr Rogers purchased this section from J. C. George in October 1879, and whilst this building is not present on Skinner's 1880 map of New Plymouth (compiled about mid-1880), by August 1881, Rogers' address is "Elliot Street" (see linked advertisement).

Rogers sold the building in November 1903 to William Courtney - the Taranaki Daily News of 14 November 1903 reported the sale of "Mr H. Rogers shop and dwelling, Elliott Street, with valuable 1/4-acre land to a local investor".

The property "formerly known as Captain Roger's" was again advertised for sale in April 1906 - it was sold to a John Rogers (unlclear if related to Henry Rogers)

Clad in plain horizontal weatherboards with sash windows, it is similar in style to 75 Eliot Street, although constructed at a slightly later date. Buildings of this age and style are now very rare in New Plymouth.

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I5, page 305; also see Deeds Plan 9

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Henry Rogers Shop and Residence, 77 Eliot Street (circa 1881)


City:New Plymouth