Topic: Bank of New South Wales (1883-1925)

Topic type:

Bank of New South Wales 

In July 1881 the Taranaki Herald reported that the Bank of New South Wales had purchased a vacant section on the corner of Devon and Currie Streets for £17 10s per foot - described as "the cheapest piece of land in the centre of the town that has been purchased for some time".

Tenders for the construction of the new bank were not called for until December 1882 and construction commenced in 1883. The building was designed by the Christchurch firm of architects, Armson, Collins and Lloyd - William B.Armson died before the construction finished. Mr J.C.George of New Plymouth was the contractor and a list of sub-contractors, along with a detailed description of the building can be found in the attached web-link.

The building was finished in October 1883, the beginning of an association with the corner-site for the bank that endures to the present day.

(It was demolished in 1925 and replaced by a T.H.Bates designed building - see linked topic, which in turn was demolished and replaced by the building below)

Westpac Bank Building 2016.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion