Topic: King Family Home (Cnr Dawson and Vivian Street)

Topic type:

Truby King's Childhood Home 

After their home outside New Plymouth was destroyed during the first Taranaki war in 1860, Thomas King moved his family to this residence on the corner of Dawson and Vivian Street. The large garden and orchard extended as far as Powderham Street - town sections 684 and 685.

Thomas King arrived in New Plymouth in 1841 aboard the William Bryan. Mary Chilman arrived on the Blenheim the following year and the couple married in 1846. They had seven children, among whom were the New Plymouth businessman, Newton and Frederic Truby. The latter was known as Truby; he studied medicine and together with Lady Plunket established the Plunket Society in 1907. He was later knighted for his contribution to maternal and infant welfare.

The home above was located on town section 701 and in 1922 a new house was built for Percy Douglass (see linked topic) on this site so it is likely the house was demolished prior to this date. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion