Topic: Marsland View Boarding House (Cnr Liardet and Leach Streets)

Topic type:

Corner Liardet and Leach Streets (town section 955) 

When the New Plymouth Borough Council bought this corner site in 1945 it was anticpated that it would eventually make an ideal site for a new town hall.

Located on the site at the time was the 30 room Marsland View Boarding House. The immediate aim of the purchase was to provide accommodation  for "troublemen employed by the municipal electricity undertaking". The large house was to be coverted into six flats for the workers.

The longer term aim was to build a modern four-storey town hall complex. Mr Darby, chairman of the electric light and tramways committee, describes his vision for the building in the linked report from the Taranaki Daily News

The building never progressed any further than these early dreams and eventually the house was demolished and the site is now a car park at the back of St Andrew's Presbyterian Church.

The house was originally built (c1890s) for Mr F.L.Webster, one of the owners of the Egmont Flour Mill. It was later converted into a boarding house..

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Marsland View Boarding House (Cnr Liardet and Leach Streets)


City:New Plymouth