Topic: Corrigall's Bookshop, 66-68 Devon Street East

Topic type:

Corrigall's Bookshop 

This two-storey building at 66-68 Devon Street East was probably constructed in the late 1890s. Additions to the shop were carried out in 1949 adding an extra 1110 sq feet (338m) of floor space. These alterations were designed by noted New Plymouth architect, Thomas Bates.

In March 1902, Amin Burke and his sons opened a business in the building importing Eastern goods including "Drapery, Hosiery, Aprons, Pinafores, Men's Mercery, Silk Hankerchiefs, Jewellery, Perfumery, Cutlery, Fancy Goods of every destription". The business did not last long, with Burke declaring bankruptcy in December 1903.

Catran then moved his stationery business here in 1903 from a shop on the north side of the Devon Street hill. Jim Corrigall bought the business in 1911 and the family name was to be linked with bookselling, and this building, for nearly one hundred years.

Jim Corrigall died in 1921, aged 32, leaving his widow Bertha and young son Jack to run the business. Jack Corrigall remained with the business until he retired at the age of 78, in 1984. In turn his son, Ian, took over the business until it was sold in 2003.

The store still sells books and stationery, now under the name of "Paper Plus".

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion