Topic: Webster Building (Egmont Street)
This two-storey wooden building on the corner of Egmont and King Streets was built in 1898 for Mr W.D.Webster.
It was designed by prominent New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger and built by Boon Bros. The sub-contractors were Messrs. A Shadrack (painting), Smart Bros. (plumbing), and Russell and Sons (bricklaying).
Webster, agent for the Northern Steamship Company and Mr Davy, a seed and grain merchant, shared the office space in the building after it was completed. It was later sold to a Mr. J.Wybourne of Thames who then sold it to the legal firm, Standish and Anderson, in 1924.
In 1934 Mr. R.J. Brokenshire was taken into partnership and the firm became known as Standish, Anderson & Brokenshire. Mr R.G.Howell became a partner in 1938 and eventually his name joined the other three on the company letterhead. The building was damaged by serious flooding in February 1971, and in September the firm moved to Robe Street.
The building was finally demolished in July 1979. It is now a private car park.