Topic: Butler Residence, Mountain Road (relocated from Gill Street) (1899/1922/1960)

Topic type:

Butler Residence 

This single storey villa was located on the north side of Gill Street, between Liardet and Gover Streets. The original number was 184, after the New Plymouth CBD re-numbering it became 65-67 Gill Street. (Town section 869)

For many years it was the home of the Butler family, including the well-known historian Frederick Burdett Butler. According to Fred Butler's street index book a house was built on the section in 1899 by Coleman for the Postmaster, Mr Coad. About 1908-09 Fred Butler's father (also Frederick) moved into the house. On 12 December 1922 a permit was issued for the erection of this villa - the builder was Albert Hains and the estimated cost was £1350.

In April 1960 Butler moved the house to Mountain Road, where he continued living until his move to Thames.The house was cut in two for removal and when re-erected a second storey was added using bits and pieces from a number of old New Plymouth buildings. The house, with additions is now the Sentry Hill Motel.

In 1961 Fred Butler sold the land to the firm "Sole & Cutfield"

Butler records in his index that in 1962 Firestone tyres built and occupied a building on the site. The section is now a carpark for businesses facing Molesworth Street.

The rear of this section was part of Wai-manu pa which was occupied by the Ngati Tupari-kino hapu of Te Ati Awa up until 1770. The final mounds of the pa were finally destroyed in 1952 when construction commenced on an extension to the New Plymouth Post & Telegraph Department's motor workshop in Molesworth Street.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion