Topic: Fleetwood Cottage (circa 1864)

Topic type:

Fleetwood Cottage 

Fleetwood Cottage is located in lower Carrington Street, and most likely dates back to the 1860s, making it amongst the oldest private residences in New Plymouth; the origin of the name "Fleetwood" is unknown. 

The first entry in the Land Deed Register for Town Section 1043 is a mortgage taken out by James Hill in June 1864, and it is possible that this mortgage relates to the constructon of the original portion of the home. James Hill was the Sergeant at the Military Hospital on Marsland Hill.

James Davidson, New Plymouth's Mayor from 1879-1881, purchased section 1043 from Hill in January 1878. Puke Ariki has a undated (c1870s) watercolour in its collection by James Good, featuring Fleetwood Cottage, with the description, "Captain Davidson's residence." 

The occupier in 1889 was Mr George Farquhar (see linked newspaper report "Housebreaking"), and it was also owned by the Goodacre family for a number of years until they moved to their new home "Whareora", in Westown (c1905). Hal Goodacre was the owner of the Egmont Boot & Shoe Co. Ltd.

Mr Harry Fookes owned the house from 1923 to1947, and while he lived here the house was known as "Caterham Lodge". Dr. D.N.Gibbs bought the house in 1948, after the death of Mr Fookes, and had the house altered to accommodate his medical practice.

The next owners were Alex and Margureite Brodie (Alex was the brother of the author John Brodie), followed by the Johansen family who lived here for 38 years.

Alan and Moya Terris bought the house in May 2012.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion