Topic: New Plymouth Central Fire Station (1914-1991)

Topic type:

New Plymouth Central Fire Station c1930 

New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger was employed in 1914 to design a new fire station for the New Plymouth brigade. The contract for the building was signed on 7 October and a building permit issued on 12 October, 1914.

It was located on the corner of Liardet and Courtenay Streets (Town section 930). The drawings are signed by H. (Harry) Grayling, a New Plymouth builder so it's presumed he was the contractor. The estimated cost of the building was £2,293.

The fire station was officially opened on the 29 July, 1915. The two-storey building was concrete with a rough-cast finish. A reinforced concrete tower for drying hoses and training purposes, shown in the original plans, was never built. Instead a structural steel tower with intermediate platforms was built. This change had a significant impact on the overall scale of the building. (Ian Pritchard - Frank Messenger, Architect 1994).

After the new fire station was built in 1965, on the opposite corner to this building, the old fire station was used as an auction house and gymnasium before being demolished in 1991. It is now part of the "Z" petrol station in Courtenay Street.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion