Topic: Victoria Boarding House/Montrose Building, Liardet Street (1900)

Topic type:

Montrose Building 

This two-storey building on Liardet Street was once a boarding house. The building was designed by architect James Sanderson for Mr Arthur Chatterton, and constructed in 1900 (see linked newspaper advertisement). The boarding house was opened on Monday 1st October 1900. The building stayed in Chatterton's ownership until 1918; albeit under a number of different proprieters.

The first recorded proprietor of the boarding house is Mrs A. Chatterton in 1901 - the name 'Victoria Boarding House' was first used at this time. Later proprieters include:

1903: Rose Hayes

1903: Mrs Pauline Schultz

1907: Arthur Chatterton

1910: Mrs Susan White

1914: Arthur Chatterton

1916: William Pointon

1920: A.E.Collins

1923-28: Michael Cleary

1931: Henry Woodhead

1934-38: Joseph Ulenberg (Wilton Private Hotel)

1940: Charles Morgan (Wilton Private Hotel)

1942: Delmar Eustace (Montrose Boarding House)

1946: Vladmir Salinovich (Montrose Hotel)

In 1971 the building was bought by Carrwood Holdings Limited, a local company owned by Mr W.T.Wood and Mr T.C.Jones. It appears that part of the old building was demolished and rebuilt as retail premises. The cost of the alterations was estimated at $28,000.

In late 1971 R.W. Lambert & Co. Ltd. (typewriters and office furniture) took over the lease of the building.

More recently the building has been occupied by the clothing alteration/repair business "Pins and Needles" and then in 2008 the building was extensively renovated and became the Montrose Wine Bar. The bar, owned by James Hadlow, closed in 2012.

In February 2013 a tapas bar called "The Hour Glass', operated by business partners, Ajinkya Jagdale and Mark Louis, opened in the building.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion