Topic: 227 Devon Street East

Topic type:

227 Devon Street East 

 

The simple exterior of this shop at 227 Devon Street East does not hint at its interesting past.

Construction of the present building commenced early in 1944. It was built as a church for the "Assembly of God" and the first church service was conducted on the 9 September, 1944.

The builders were the firm Neale & Carter and the estimated cost £1350.

It's not known when the final service was held, but at some stage the building was converted to retail premises. In 1973 the building was extended for the then owner, Mr D Littlejohn.

The original shop and cottage on this section are thought to have been built in the 1880s by William Bayly. The well known businessman Chew Chong bought the shop in October 1888. Two years later he then sold the business to Choy Kee. Later owners included the plumber Charles Roch in 1927 and from 1929 - 1935, the coal merchant Robert Willis. Newspaper reports confirm that the buildings were demolished in 1938.

The building is presently (2013) occupied by the business "Accent on Curtains".

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion