Topic: Albuhera Cottage (4 Brown Street, New Plymouth)

Topic type:

Albuhera Cottage 1976 

This small cottage was removed from its site on Brown Street in the early 1990s after a debate as to whether it should be purchased and restored by the New Plymouth District Council.

There remains considerable doubt as to the exact history of the cottage.The Baldocks lived in the dwelling from 1932 until the death of Mrs Baldock in 1986. William Baldock is credited with naming it "Albuhera" - after a battle in which the 57th Regiment obtained honours during the Peninsula Wars. It's possible the cottage was built in the 1860s. During renovations a penny of that date was found in the framing of the building.

However a Landcorp report (ARC2004-236) commissioned by NPDC in 1990 concludes there is not enough evidence to confirm this date. It also appears the cottage has been moved through 90 degrees to align with Brown Street (formed in 1865).

The cottage was described as a single-storeyed, two bedroomed dwelling with a 'lean-to' type extension added at some stage. Around 1891 timber and a door from Marsland Hill barracks were used in repairs. In the photo above a chiming clock can be seen above the front door.

In July 1991 the NPDC decided to allow for the removal of the cottage as it no longer fulfilled the criteria for its Historic Places Trust category II notation. It was reported that an agreement was reached between the council and then owners Peter and Cecily White-Robinson for the possible relocation and re-use of the cottage. It's not known where the dwelling was moved to.

It was located on the west side of Brown Street, part of old town sections 2001,2002 and 2003. The building on the site now is occupied by the accountants 'Busing Russell".

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Albuhera Cottage (4 Brown Street, New Plymouth)


City:New Plymouth