Topic: The Economic (128 Devon Street East)
This building at 128-130 Devon Street East was built for Mr L Autridge and his business "Economic Drapers".
A building permit was issued to Mr Autridge on 19 March, 1936. It was built by Lovell & Rawlinson and the estimated cost was £2,040. It was designed by the architectural firm, Messenger & Taylor.
Ian Pritchard records in his book, Frank Messenger: architect: the work of a New Plymouth architect , that Messsenger had earlier designed a shop on this site for a Mr Honnor in 1902. N.P.D.C. files indicate that at some later time well known New Plymouth architect, T.H. Bates, designed alterations to the building. These plans are undated but were drawn up on behalf of Mr Autridge. On the plans Bates' office address is the King's Building, which he vacated around 1926-27 so they are presumed to relate to the earlier building. It's thought Autridge opened his menswear business here about this time.
The present (2012) tenant is the retail clothing outlet, "Pumpkin Patch".
More recently the existing facade was removed to reveal the original 1936 design with the words, "The Economic" on the parapet. (see linked images)