Topic: Somerset Boarding House (former), 41 Moa Street (1893)

Topic type:

Somerset Boarding House before removal of top floor

View prior to removal of top floor. Image from Te Moa : 100 years history of the Inglewood community, 1875-1975 - location of original photograph unknown

This building was constructed in 1893 for Mrs Weeks', and operated as the Somerset Boarding House - it was originally two-storied, with the top floor since removed.

The Weeks' had previously operated a boarding house on Devon Street in New Plymouth, and in early 1893 obtained the lease of Inglewood Town Section 339, on which they had the boarding house constructed. The Moa Mail reported on 10 June 1893 that the boarding house was almost finished, and descibed it as:

...not the least bit ornamental is Mrs Weeks' boarding house, situate in Moa Street, just about complete, and containing some 20 rooms. The gable end and double verandah are nicely finished off, and cannot fail to attract attention from the railway, and being so near the station, will doubtless be patronised by many.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Somerset Boarding House (former), 41 Moa Street (1893)


City:Inglewood