Topic: Purangi Boarding House & Store - 1900-1990

Topic type:

Junction Road, Purangi

Purangi Boarding House

Purangi Boarding House - 1974 

The Purangi boarding house was built by Frederick W Pennington in1900 and operated for some years as a general store as well.

One front room was used as the local school until the official school was built in 1909.

The derelict building was demolished after it was seriously damaged in the massive 1990 flood in which the Waitara River rose to indundate all of the flat land of the valley.

For a detailed history of the Boarding House, see Documents below from Aitken and Webb (1991).


Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion


Purangi Boarding House & Store - 1900-1990

Purangi Boarding House & Store - 1900-1990 by Ron is Copyright Act 1994