Topic: Curtis' Building (1909)

Topic type:

Cutis' Building 

Built in 1909 for Herbert B.Curtis and designed by New Plymouth architect, Frank Messenger. Curtis was Mayor of Inglewood from 1907-1910.

When first built, the building was known as the Shoe Store Building. On the ground floor was a bookstore and the law practice of Harold Thompson. Thompson was the apprehender of the infamous New Plymouth "Highwayman", Robert Wallath. The Inglewood Club occupied the upper floor of the building.

In the early hours of 7 January 1999 fire broke out in the western section of the building. The large blaze destroyed that part of the building, while the other section was spared by a fire wall. The following year the eastern section was given a major facelift, partly thanks to heritage funding provided by the New Plymouth District Council.

At the time of the fire the building was occupied by a dairy and tearooms (Len's Place Dairy and Tearooms - run by the Bishell family), a real estate agent, and a furniture business. Two shops were empty.

                                           (Original plans in Puke Ariki collection: ARC2009-155)

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion