Topic: Bank of New South Wales 1907

Topic type:

Bank of New South Wales (Inglewood) 

The Bank of New South Wales opened an agency to New Plymouth in Inglewood in 1892 and provided banking services to the community for two days a week. The bank office was initially in the front room of the Vickers and Stevens Auctioneers building on Main Street. In late 1897 the bank moved into rented premises next door and added a bedroom on the back. On 5 January 1898 the agency became a branch. The manager reported at the time that there were 7 butter factories and many creameries within a few miles of Inglewood. The first customers to sign the branch register were the auctioneers Edward Vickers and Robert Stevens.

In 1902 the bank purchased the section of 33 Rimu Street, a 2 storied brick and wooden building that was erected and occupied in 1907 for £3357. The architects were Chrichton and McKay.

A Westpac archive 1964 file note describes the residence at the rear of the building and on the first floor containing 6 bedrooms, lounge and dining etc. The building renovated was in 1957.

The bank remained there until it merged with the New Plymouth branch and the premises closed on 10 August 1992.

Managers of the BNSW Inglewood branch

From 16 January1898 John Henry Rowe        

1913 Richard Chamen Esse

1922 Cecil Claude William Haselden

1930 Alfred Hamish Grant

1934 William Athol Seymour Wearne

1937 Claude Vernon Herbert

1946 Marvin John Hurley

1950 Colin Milne

1955 Jack Gordon Somerfield

1966 Archibald Lionel Frank Mills

1971 Laurence William Neale

1973 Hugh-Winnford Rowley

1977 Peter James O'Shaughnessey _

(All the above information was supplied by Pauline Porteous - Westpac Archivist)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion