Topic: Battle of Waireka Plaque - 1958
Corner of Waireka Road West and Sutton Road, Omata
NZHPT plaque marking the Battle of Waireka 1860
[NZ Historic Places Trust Logo]
ABOUT THIS HILL THE FIRST MAJOR
ENGAGEMENT OF THE TARANAKI
WAR THE BATTLE OF WAIREKA
WAS FOUGHT 28 MARCH 1860
(This was not the first engagement of the Taranaki War as Te Kohia (the L-Pa) at Waitara was attacked on 17/18 March 1860)
The pa, Kaipopo, attacked by marines from HMS Niger, was on a knoll 200 metres further down Waireka Road. The Omata/Waireka Cemetery is a little further on.The remaining earthworks over the fence from the plaque are those of the large Waireka Camp which was erected in July 1860 by the 12th and 40th Regiments.
Plaque unveiled 6 November 1958 by NZHPT Chairman, Ormond Wilson (See Document below)
A similar plaque at Mahoetahi was unveiled on the same day. The bronze plaque there is now (2016) missing from the concrete base.
The inscription read...
Battle of Mahoetahi
6th November 1860
Maori who fell are buried on this hill