Topic: Belt Road Mine - 1943/2015

Topic type:

Coastal Walkway under Belt Road Motor Camp

Belt Road Mine 

German Mine - Belt Road

A German anti-shipping mine which was washed ashore at Belt Road, New Plymouth on 15 February 1943. It was thought to be one of a number  laid off the south Australian coast by the German Navy during World War II.

The mine was recovered and disarmed by New Plymouth's 2C Section, NZ Engineering Corps, Bomb Disposal Group.(See Document below)

It was at one stage displayed in the Waitara Marine Park but afterwards recovered by Mike Zeier from the Waitara Borough yard.After a stint in Zeier's garden, in 1999 it was mounted outside the New Plymouth RSA in Devon Street East, Strandon.(See Document below) but it was put in storage at Port Taranaki when the RSA moved from the premises in 2012.

The port company restored the mine and, with the aid of the Art in Public Places Trust and Pace Engineering, arranged for its installation on the Walkway near where it came ashore.

The mine was used as a centrepiece for a public art work - Reflect Collateral Damage -  by Dale Copeland. It was installed on the Coastal Walkway in December 2015 (See Document below)

It is a Type-EM naval moored contact mine similar to the one at Mokau. They were probably laid by the German naval ships - Penguin & Passat near Melbourne or in Bass Strait in late 1940. (Ref: Cooke & Maxwell, Great Guns, 2013)

Three mines are known to have washed ashore on Taranaki beaches during the war - at Bell Block on 28 November 1942 (See Image below), Mokau on 2 December 1942 (See Topic below) and Belt Road, 15 February 1943.

 

Further Reading 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Belt Road Mine - 1943/2015


City:New Plymouth
Belt Road Mine - 1943/2015 by Ron is Copyright Act 1994