Topic: Milmoe Memorial Fountain - 1903

Topic type:

Hawera Hospital Forecourt, Hunter Street, Hawera

Milmoe Memorial Fountain

Lawrence Milmoe Memorial Fountain 

 

Plaque Inscription

To the Memory

of

Lawrence Milmoe Esq

by whose generosity

the West Wing, the Nurse's

Home, and this Fountain

were erected 1903

______________

Re-erected 1930

_______________

Re-located 2002



Lawrence Milmoe (1824?-1901) was born in Sligo, Ireland. He served with the Taranaki Military Settlers and Armed Constabulary in the 1860s (Stowers 2010) and was one of the survivors of the Ngati Ruanui attack on Turuturu Mokai in 1868.(See Documents below) Milmoe was one of the seven survivors recommended for the New Zealand Cross for their actions at Turuturu Mokai but none received the award. In 1872 he was granted land in the Patea District (Hawera) for his TMS service (Taranaki Govt Gazette XX (8)

In the 1880s Milmoe had a farm, Peach Grove, near Normanby. He later retired to Hawera to become a successful property owner & developer. He was a member of the Hawera Road Board and a dedicated supporter of the Catholic church and its convent school. Because of ill-health he had moved to New Plymouth just before his death. 

In his will he left £1625 to the Hawera Hospital Board for a nurse's home, extension to the wards, a new kitchen, surgical supplies and a memorial to himself.The memorial - a fountain - was selected by the Hawera Beautifying Society. It cost £130 and was of "pressed bronzed zinc which was fitted [filled?] with concrete." (H & N Star 3 Feb 1904)

The extensions were built and the fountain installed at Hawera's first hospital in Gladstone Street but the fountain was moved to the Hunter Street site in 1930. It was re-located on its present site at the new hospital in 2002

The nurse's home and hospital extensions were opened by Premier, Richard Seddon at Gladstone Street, on 3 February 1904 when he visited the town to open the Hawera Industrial Exhibition. "Mr Seddon then invited Mrs [Emma] Scott, wife of the Chairman of the Board [John W. Scott] , to unveil the fountain...."  (See report in Documents below) 

Milmoe Street in Hawera is named after him.

(Two of Milmoe's brothers. Daniel & Patrick, were reported to have been  mining multi-millionares and resident in Mexico.(Hawera Star 6 August 1884 & 15 April 1899) 

Note: Lawrence Milmoe's name is sometimes spelled "Laurence"

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Milmoe Memorial Fountain - 1903


City:Hawera
Milmoe Memorial Fountain - 1903 by Ron is Copyright Act 1994