Topic: Manaia Flourmill 1882 - c1918

Topic type:

Main South Road, 1 km south of Manaia

Manaia Flourmill Remains 

Manaia Flourmill Remains

The Manaia flourmill was established in 1882 on the Waiokura Stream just out of Manaia on the road to Hawera. It was a four-storey building powered by a 4.5 metre waterwheel (see Image below) It was designed and built by Daniel F McVicar - the former owner and operator of the Sentry Hill mill near Lepperton.

The concrete remains on the site today are those of the 1900 crushing mill which was recorded by the Hawera Star (24 Jan 1900) "On the site of the old flour mill, Mr McVicar is erecting another building of concrete, his intention being to put in another crushing plant."

 

Further reading: Oliver, Robyn: The Flour Mills of Taranaki, New Zealand, 1844 - 1935, 2 Vols, MA Thesis, 1998. Puke Ariki Collection

See in Documents below: Hosie, John, Centennial History of Manaia School, 1982

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Manaia Flourmill 1882 - c1918


City:Manaia
Manaia Flourmill 1882 - c1918 by Ron is Copyright Act 1994