Topic: New Plymouth Gas Works Light Standard (1880)

Topic type:

One of New Plymouth's last surviving gas light standards, St Mary's Cathedral, Vivian Street, New Plymouth.

Gas Light, St Mary's 

Gas Light Standard, Vivian St, NP

Gas street lighting came to New Plymouth on 6 March 1880 when 24 lights were lit for the first time.

It seems this standard was originally located on the footpath outside the church, and later relocated to its present position. 

A gas light standard of the same design as the one above, is shown, in 1880s Brougham St, on p87 of Moorhead 2001 attached as a Document below.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

New Plymouth Gas Works Light Standard (1880)


City:New Plymouth
New Plymouth Gas Works Light Standard (1880) by Ron is Copyright Act 1994