Topic: Wendy Statue - 1951

Topic type:

King Edward Park, Hawera

Wendy Statue 

Wendy Statue

Bronze statue of Wendy Darling, the young girl immortalised in J.M.Barrie's story of Peter Pan and Wendy (1911)

Well-known English sculptor, Ferdinand Victor Blundstone (1885-1951), was commissioned to design the statue. His studio though, was destroyed in an air raid during World War II and the work was completed by Gilbert Baynes. The statue was constructed at the works of Morris-Sing and Company, South Lambeth. It was shipped to New Zealand freight free aboard the Shaw Savill cargo liner Forsdale.

A memorial to James Ernest Campbell (Hawera mayor 1933 - 39) it was unveiled on 9 July 1951. The statue's design is after the style of Sir George Frampton's famous Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, London.

.

Wendy, holding high a lantern, is accompanied by two elves (or gnomes) - one playing a lute, the other a fiddle - four fairies, two hares, a raven, a rooster, a fox, an owl, two hedgehogs, two ducks, two toads, a family of rabbits, mice and three squirrels.

The statue is signed at the base

F V BLUNDSTONE

        SCULPTOR

                 LONDON

 

Plaque at base of Statue

IN MEMORY OF

JAMES ERNEST CAMPBELL

MAYOR OF HAWERA 1933-39

THIS BRONZE STATUE WAS

PRESENTED TO THE

CITIZENS OF HAWERA

BY HIS WIFE MARION CAMPBELL

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion