Australind Mast

Original Filename: otaka_4_001.jpg (view)

Original Size: 4.6 MB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

Australind Mast.

Caption

This mast  is  a replica of the original which proved to decayed to re-erect.

AUSTRALIND MAST

This is the replacement for the kauri mast recovered from the barque

'Australind' which went aground at Ngamotu on 25th July 1882,

with a cargo of cement for the breakwater.

The wreck was bought by Mr Chew Chong, a local merchant.

The original mast stood in Pukekura Park for many years and

was re-erected at the foot of Paritutu Rock in 1984 by

the New Plymouth West Rotary Club. It was relocated to this site

in 2001 by Westgate Transport Limited.

The 429-ton wooden ship was built in the United States

in 1860, as the 'Luzor'.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Australind Mast by Ron is Copyright Act 1994