Topic: C.A.Wilkinson's Building (High Street, Hāwera)

Topic type:

C.A.Wilkinson's Building (Hawera)

This reinforced concrete building on High Street in Hāwera was built in 1940 for C.A. Wilkinson Ltd. It was designed by the prominent Hāwera architectural partnership, Duffill & Gibson - plans held by Puke Ariki (ARC2005-127).

Charles Wilkinson was a prominent Eltham businessman and politician. The company he formed had stores in Eltham, Stratford, Hāwera and New Plymouth.

The entry for this building in the Hāwera Town Centre Heritage Inventory describes it was being "a very good example of the art deco style of architecture", in particular highlighting the "streamlined detailing on the front elevation to High Street giving it the character of a piece of furniture or radiogram of the 1930s". Also praised is the interior which is described as having, "a wonderful quality of light and space, unusual in a modestly sized commercial building".

Wilkinson's ceased trading in 1956 and the New Plymouth Savings Bank (later TSB Bank) leased the building until 1966 when Patterson's Clothing Company moved in. They were still in the building at the time of the heritage study (1997), however it is now occupied by the clothing retailer, Ballentynes. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion