Topic: Hāwera Public Library 1896

Topic type:

Hāwera Public Library

The Hāwera Public Library (now Hāwera LibraryPlus) in High Street has served the town for close to 125 years from the same building. It was built in 1896 and opened to the public in early November of that year.

It was designed by George Card and the contractors were Messrs MacIndoe and Carter. The other contactors involved in the project were: Mr. W Day (painting & decorating), Mr J.Makin (plumber) and Mr Whittington (bricklayer). 

The Hāwera Town Centre Heritage Inventory states that the building has undergone many internal changes to suit changing circumstances. Puke Ariki holds plans (ARC2004-981) by Rough & Duffil and Stephen Gibson, drawn in 1928, for the re-modelling of the library.

A new library and civic centre is planned for corner of Regent and High Streets. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Hāwera Public Library 1896


City:Hāwera