Topic: Welsh McCarthy Building (Cnr High Street and Albion Street)

Topic type:

Welsh McCarthy Building 

This building on the corner of High Street and Albion Street in Hawera was built in 1911 for the lawyers, Richard Dawson Welsh and Bernard McCarthy.

It was designed and built by local architect and builder, Ernest Arthur Pacey, at an estimated cost of £1,400.

The legal firm Welsh, McCarthy Barristers & Solicitors occupied the building for over 100 years. In August 2021 the building was for sale.

The Hawera Stockade was erected on the same site about 1870 (a small plaque on the side of the building acknowledges this early history) and was used for a number of differing purposes until it was demolished, probably sometime in the 1880s. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Welsh McCarthy Building (Cnr High Street and Albion Street)


City:Hawera