Topic: Nolan Building, cnr High and Regents Streets (1908)

Topic type:

Nolan Building 

This two-storey building on the corner of High and Regents Streets was built in 1908 for the local firm Nolan, Tonks and Co to replace two old timber buildings constructed during the 1880s-90s.

The prominent corner location and classical design combine to make it a landmark building in the town centre. It has a category 2 listing with Heritage New Zealand.

The High and Regent Street facades are finished in cement stucco with cornice enrichments on fluted columns, finished with Ionic capitals and received “much favorable comment”. The building was designed by Mr Joseph Edward Roe, with the main contractor being Mr E. A. Pacey; Messrs Whittington was responsible for the brickwork and Cowell and Kneebone the plumbing.

Initally, Price and Co occupied ground and first floor premises on Regent Street, jeweller J. Brunette occupied the corner premises, whilst Messrs Welsh and Ryan occupied a suite of first floor offices; a further shop fronting High Street was yet to be tenanted.

Later occupants of the building include the Farmers' Co-operative Organisational Society, who subsequently purchased Nolan’s various properties in 1939 with their subsidiary company ‘Nolan’s Buildings Limited’ and were associated with the building until 1999. The building was occupied by The Warehouse for a time and the ground floor premises have latterly been occupied by the Gelato Café.

The building is scheduled to be demolished to make way for the new Hawera library and cultural centre, Te Ramanui o Ruapūtahanga. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion