Welcome to the Waverley Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

Latest 3 topics

Waverley Hotel .

Waverley Hotel 

The Patea Mail reported on 26 July 1933 that a new 20 room hotel was to built in Waverley for a cost of £5,000. The contactors were Walpole and Patterson of Wanganui and the architects, Piper and Brooker of Auckland. 

It appears likely the first licence was granted to Ernest de Tourret. The Patea Mail noted on 10 September 1934 that the Patea Licensing Committee had granted the transfer of the license from Tourret to T.Mckenzie. In July 1935 it was reported that McKenzie had disposed of his

Clarendon Hotel.

Clarendon Hotel

The Waverley Heritage Inventory entry for the Clarendon Hotel states that it was built in 1878 and had 21 rooms. The Taranaki Herald reported briefly on 4 July 1894 that the "Clarendon Hotel, Waverley, was burnt to the ground on Sunday night". 

It seems likely, therefore, that the present building dates from 1894-95. In September 1894 the Patea Licensing Committee granted permission for a new 22 room (exclusive of the bar) hotel to be built and for business to continue in temporary premises.

In 1909 (not 1907 as

ANZ bank (Waverley).

ANZ Bank (Waverley) 
 

Located on the corner of Weraroa Road and Bear Street, Waverley.

This building was erected in 1913 for the Bank of Australasia, replacing an old wooden building on the next door section. The Bank of Australasia was the first to open a branch in Waverley in December 1876; they were quickly followed by the Bank of New Zealand. By 1885 it was realized that the town was too small to sustain two banks and in a deal between the two banks, the BNZ pulled out

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

ANZ Bank (Waverley).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.