Topic: Memorial to Maori Casualties - Cathedral Church of St Mary - 1972
37 Vivian St, New Plymouth
"Memorial to Maori People who Died in the Conflicts 1860-70."
A number of proposals have been made over the years to balance St Mary's traditional associations with Pakeha military - in the form the local colours (flags) and British regimental hatchments - with Maori as opposition in the conflict..
Such a memorial was unveiled and dedicated Sunday 24 September, 1972 by His Excellency, Sir Richard Wild, Acting Governor-General, Hon Duncan MacIntyre, Minister of Maori Affairs, and His Grace, the Archbishop of New Zealand, Reverend A H Johnston.
The installation was designed and carvings executed by John Bevan Ford. It represents the traditional story of Takarangi of Puke Ariki pa & Raumahora from Whakarewa pa, Okato, whose marriage resulted in a lasting peace between Te Atiawa and Taranaki iwi. (See Document below)
The panel on the left is Te Rangi Apiti Rua, the ariki (chief) of Puke Ariki and Takarangi's father; on the centre panel are the two lovers Takarangi (top)and Raumahora (below), while on the right is Raumahora's father, Rangi Mohuta of Whakarewa. The figures on the base represent the two waka (canoes) of Tokomaru (Te Atiawa) and Kurahaupo (Taranaki)
Tuku tuku (wall panels) work was completed by the women parishioners of St Mary's.
The whariki (harakeke mat) was gifted by the Maori Arts & Crafts Institute, Rotorua.
The upper painted kowhaiwhai panels depict - in the centre - the mounga, Taranaki, with a cross superimposed
Note: Entry to St Mary's is presently restricted while a programme of seismic strengthening is being undertaken.