Topic: Drynan's Building, 51 McLean Street (circa 1890s)

Topic type:

Drynan's Building 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

This two-storied timber building was likely constructed during the 1890s by Thomas Shaw Drynan, who had owned the property (Pt Section 1 of Block 96 Waitara West) since 1878. 

At various times Drynan was a builder, undertaker, farmer, storekeeper and mayor of Waitara.

The 1990s NPDC heritage inventory notes a construction date of 1897, although it gives no evidence for this date. Photographs show the building was certainly in existence before 1906. 

The building was occupied by Miller's drapery store for a considerable time.

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I10, page 253; CT TN127/194

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Drynan's Building, 51 McLean Street (circa 1890s)


City:Waitara