Topic: Joll's Boarding House, Cnr West Quay and Whittaker Streets (constructed 1879/1882 - removed 1920)

Topic type:

Joll's Boarding House Detail Circa 1890s

Detail from circa 1890s view of Waitara

The southern portion of this building was constructed for Samuel Joll in 1879 as a butcher's shop.

The northern portion of the building was added in 1882 as an addition to the original butchery shop - The building was later used as a boarding house. 

The architect for the additions was Ed Wickham and the builder a man named 'Wilson' - the construction cost was £390.

The building survived on this site until 1920 when the "sixteen-roomed boarding-house" was advertised for sale for removal by Herbert Joll.

See: Taranaki Herald, 31 July 1879, page 2; Taranaki Herald, 3 July 1882, page 3; Taranaki Herald, 22 July 1882, page 2; Taranaki Herald, 5 August 1882, page 2; Taranaki Herald, 22 May 1920, page 7

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Joll's Boarding House, Cnr West Quay and Whittaker Streets (constructed 1879/1882 - removed 1920)


City:Waitara