Topic: Waitara Technical School/Waitara East School Hall (1917-18)

Topic type:

Waitara Technical School 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

The Waitara Technical School was constructed in 1917-18 to provide a space to teach manual classes for students from the Clifton/Waitara District. The building was designed by Charles Howard Moore, who was the Taranaki Education Board architect at the time. 

The building was originally located at Waitara Central School, and was relocated to its present site in 1991 to be used as a hall for Waitara East School.

Soon after opening, New Zealand was struck by the Influenza Epidemic, and the Technical School building was closed to classes and used a temporary hospital for local Maori who had contracted Influenza. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion