Topic: Madden's Cottage/Bakery, 65 Queen Street (circa 1875)

Topic type:

This cottage was likely constructed in early 1875 for P. Madden as both a residence and bakery shop. The current structure seems to be present in a circa 1877 panoramic photograph of Waitara - although there is the posibility the front part of the original building may have been demolished. 

Lot 6 of Block 65, Waitara West, was subdivided in 1873, and this half was purchased by William Beale. The section wasn't owned by Beale for long, and it was purchased by P. G. Madden in December 1874 - the present cottage is thought to have been constructed soon after this purchase, likely in early 1875.

In September 1874 an auction of Madden's household furniture was held in New Plymouth on account of him "leaving the district". Then, in February 1875, P. Madden announced he was commencing business in Waitara as a baker and confectioner, a short time later, his wife also announced she was commmencing business as a dress and manteau maker in Waitara. 

Madden ran his bakery business on this site, and it seems this building may have served as both his shop and residence - at the time this area was the main street of Waitara, and the original Waitara Hotel was located just a few doors down on the corner of Queen and High Street (before being relocated to the corner of West Quay and McLean in 1882). The bakehouse was likely located at the rear of the present building, with Madden also owning part of lot 5, continuing through to Domett Street. In April 1876 Madden advertised for sale his bakery business on part sections 5 and 6, Block 65, with "Shop, Dwelling, Bakehouse and Fixtures".

In February 1883 ownership of the property was conveyed to John Watson, and then on John's death in 1890, to another member of the Watson family. In September 1902 the cottage was purchased by E. J. Frost, however, it was only in his ownership for a few years, as he was declared bankrupt in September 1905, and "sections 5 and 6, Block 65, Waitara, together with dwelling erected on same, now occupied by E. J. Frost" were advertised for sale by tender as part of Frost's bankrupt estate. The property was subsequently purchased by J. Buchanan, who retained ownership until May 1920.

 See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I10, page 217. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Madden's Cottage/Bakery, 65 Queen Street (circa 1875)


City:Waitara