Topic: Waitara Harbour Board Pilot's House and Lamp-room, 122 Centennial Avenue (1907)

Topic type:

Waitara Pilots House 2018

2018 View of Pilots House

The house and lamp-house/signal box at 122 Centennial Avenue were constructed in 1907 to replace the former Waitara Blockhouse, constructed in 1860, and which had until that time served as the Pilot's Residence. 

At the June 1907 Monthly Meeting of the Waitara Harbour Board, it was reported that the old pilot house was "in very bad repair", and that a new 5-roomed house should be constructed. At the July monthly meeting, Waitara architect Edward Wickham presented plans for the proposed new Pilot's House, and the Board agreed that tenders should be called for immediately. At the August monthly meeting, the tender of builder W. B. Hoskin for £298 was accepted for the construction of the new Pilot's Residence. The Tender of W. B. Hoskin for £20 5s was also accepted for the removal of the old blockhouse. 

Waitara Lamp Room 2018

2018 View of Lamp-Room

At the September 1907 Monthly Meeting of The Waitara Harbour Board it was agreed that a lamp-room of 12ftx18ft should also be constructed, with W. B. Hoskin again the builder - his tender of £58 being accepted at the October 1907 Monthly Meeting.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Waitara Harbour Board Pilot's House and Lamp-room, 122 Centennial Avenue (1907)


City:Waitara