Waitara Buildings

 

(Basket under construction)

Waitara Buildings


City:Waitara

Latest 2 topics

Waitara Post Office .

Waitara Post Office 

This two-storey concrete building on the corner of McLean and Domett Streets was built in 1922. It replaced the original Waitara Post Office (see linked image) which was located on the corner of Queen and Whittaker Streets.

The architect - likely to be a Wellington based Government official - and builder are unknown.

In 1981 Roebuck Construction Ltd. built a single storey addition adjacent to the post office at a cost of $189,100. This is now a Post Shop, Kiwibank, and Lotto outlet.

The Post Office was sold by New Zealand Post

Masonic Hotel (Waitara).

Masonic Hotel (Waitara) 

The Masonic is the only original hotel in Waitara. Built in 1881, the first owner was James Holmes.

The building was extensively modernised in the 1950s.

Wayne and Lorraine Young bought the hotel in 1984.  In late 2011 they began a major renovation project which was completed in 2014.

Wayne Young died in December 2014 and the