Topic: Memorial Place

Topic type:

The portion of Broadway between McLean and Whitaker Streets was re-named Memorial Place in 1959 to reflect the nearby location of the Waitara War Memorial (1923) and War Memorial Hall (1959).

The First World War memorial was unveiled by Lieutenant-Colonel C.H. Weston on Anzac Day 1923. The high granite cross, originally painted white, was mounted on a stepped and balustraded stone-and-concrete platform. One face of the cross’s base was inscribed, ERECTED / BY THE CITIZENS / TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN / OF WAITARA / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR, / 1914-1918. The names of 34 men were listed on two of the other faces with the phrase ‘Think and Thank’.

In 1949 a further 33 Second World War names were added. Some years later a plaque commemorating service in later wars was also put in place and (very recently) two plaques listing the names of men from North Taranaki who gave their lives in the First and Second World Wars.

The nearby war memorial community centre was opened by the Hon. W. Anderton, Minister of Internal Affairs, in September 1959. The memorial feature in the lobby was designed by Max Smart, an art master at Waitara High School. This features a cross, the inscription WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM, and four marble tablets listing the names of men who gave their lives in both world wars. The Brixton-Huirangi Second World War roll of honour also hangs in the lobby.

At the time of the opening of the community centre, it was reported in the Daily News that the Waitara branch of the RSA had recommended to the Waitara Borough Council that the southern end of Broadway be renamed “to something more in keeping with the war memorial aspect”. The Borough Council asked the Waitara RSA for suggested names, with the submitted name of ‘Memorial Place’ approved at a council meeting in November 1959.

See: Waitara War Memorials, NZ History, https://nzhistory.govt.nz; accessed 11 January 2019; Waitara War Memorial (1923), Kete New Plymouth, http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info/en/site; accessed 10 January 2019; Hawera & Normanby Star, 26 April 1923, p. 4; Taranaki Daily News, 26 April 1949, page 6; Taranaki Daily News, 14 September 1959, page 14; Taranaki Herald, 25 November 1959, page 4

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Memorial Place


City:Waitara