Topic: Lupton Street (TDN 21/01/2017)
Lupton Street, located off Weraroa Road in Waverley, is named after Isaac Lupton. He was born at South Stainley, Yorkshire, England on 29 June 1834 to Isaac and Mary Lupton (nee Goodman).
He arrived in New Zealand in the 1860s. Isaac Lupton settled in Otago and Blenheim, before moving to Wairoa, (now known as Waverley).
The town's name was officially changed to Waverley in 1876 to avoid confusion with other towns called Wairoa. Many of the area's early settlers were from Scotland and chose this name in memory of Scottish author Sir Walter Scott, whose popular books were known as the Waverley novels.
Isaac joined the Wairoa Volunteer Rifles in 1868, serving with them until 1876, when he received the New Zealand Medal for his service. He also received one or more soldiers' sections from the Crown and built his first home at the end of Hoopers Lane.
In 1876 Isaac married Margaret Wilkie. They built their marital home at the end of Lupton Street. Their family soon outgrew their home on Lupton Street and the decision was made to build "Stainley Park" homestead.
This property was built on a substantial block of land which Isaac had purchased in 1873. The Lupton estate was a venue for horse racing, polo, cricket and hunting.
The Lupton family is renowned for their love of horses, and Isaac Lupton's descendants are recognised as breeders of quality horses.
Trainer Ewen 'Snow' Lupton and his wife Anne, were joint owners of a six-year old chestnut horse Kiwi ridden by New Zealand jockey, Jim Cassidy.
Kiwi famously came from behind the field on the home turn with a "ground-devouring run from the rear" to win Australia's premier race, the Melbourne Cup in 1983.