Topic: St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Waverley)

Topic type:

St Andrew's Church, Waverley

Presbyterianism had a strong following in the early days of Waverley and the foundation stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by the Hon. William Fox on 7 June 1877. 

St Andrew's was designed by the notable Wellington architect Mr Thomas Turnbull (General Assembly Library, St Peter's Church in Willis Street) and built by Jones & Peachey (Whanganui) at a cost of £750.10.6. The church was opened on 16 December 1877.

Additions (two wings) were completed in 1893 and in 1911 a Sunday School Hall was erected at a cost of £900.00. The hall was designed by Messrs. Banks & Wall and the contractor was Mr Sam Price. It was officially opened on 6 June 1911. 

On 22 June 1921 a memorial tablet was unveiled in St Andrew's Church to commemorate the local soldiers killed in WWI.

By the mid-1970s the Anglicans and Presbyterians were holding joint services. Increasing co-operation led to a decision in 1980 to build a new co-operating church on the Weraroa Road site of the Presbyterian church which was demolished. The hall was retained and is located next to the new church complex. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion