Topic: Hawera Baptist Church 1928

Topic type:

Hawera Baptist Church

The Baptists first started meeting in Hāwera almost 100 years ago. The first regular fellowship meetings began in May 1921 on a monthly basis. The arrival of the first pastor, Rev. Ernest Goring, in February 1923, marks the formal establishment of the church in the town.

The church purchased the present site (corner of Argyle and Surrey Streets) in 1923. Following years of fundraising the congregation had sufficient funds to erect a church in 1928. 

The new church was opened on 20 June 1928 by the Rev. F.E. Harry of Wellington. The local pastor at the time was the Rev. R.L.Fursdon. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Hawera Baptist Church 1928


City:Hawera