Topic: Alton All Saints Church

Topic type:

Alton All Saints Church 

The plans for this Anglican church in Alton were prepared in 1936 by the Hāwera architects Rough & Duffill. The land the church stands on had been donated in 1920 by Charles and Susan (nee Tagg) Amos on their departure from Alton.  

However, it was to be another 17 years (and 33 years since the gift of the land) before the church finally opened on 21 July 1953. Rev J.Jones was the Vicar and the dedication by Archdeacon Young. It was officially consecrated four months later on 29 November 1953 by Bishop Rich.

The church was sold by the Anglican Diocese to the community of Alton in 2016 for the nominal sum of $2.00. It is now under the ownership of the Alton Coronation Hall. It has recently been completely repainted and the north wall rebuilt.

 (Plans held by Puke Ariki ARC2004-354) 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion