Topic: Frankleigh Park Sunday School/Mary Chapel (1911)

Topic type:

This chapel was constructed in 1911, and was originally used for the Frankleigh Park Sunday School.

Mary Chapel 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

The Frankleigh Park Settler's Association was formed in August 1911, and one of their first tasks was to organise a Sunday School, in connection with the Whiteley Church, for the local children. A committee was set up to find a plot of land and have a building constructed for the Sunday School; in the meantime, the Sunday School was held in a room at local resident Mrs J. Roch's house. The commitee purchased a section opposite the local Frankleigh Park Store, fundraising was undertaken, and the school was constructed by the local residents - the building appears to be complete by early December 1911.

The building was shifted from Govett Avenue to its present location at Sacred Heart College in September 2005, subsequently restored, and re-named the Mary Chapel. The chapel was named in honour of teacher Mary Phelan, who before her untimely death, had proposed her family place a chapel in the College grounds. Following her death, Mary's brother, John Spellman, purchased the building, and with constributions from Mary's family, had it shifted to Sacred Heart; it was restored by late Waitara craftsman George Tamati, and opened in April 2006.

See linked newspaper articles, and Sacred Heart College's 125th jubilee publication in the Taranaki Research Centre at Puke Ariki

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion