Topic: St Luke's Methodist Church (Westown)

Topic type:

St Luke's Methodist Church (Westown) 

The foundation stone for this Methodist church on the corner of Tukapa and David Streets was laid on 27 May, 1961. St Luke's was opened and dedicated by the Rev. Dr. J.J. Lewis on 30 September, 1961.

The corner section had been purchased in 1923 for £145. Later the same year, the local Methodist community were offered the Korito Church building in Kent Road. This was bought for £350 and a permit for its removal and erection in Westown was issued by the New Plymouth Borough Council on 25 October, 1924. Boon Bros. were the contractors and the estimated cost was £100. This church was demolished in 1961.

After World War II more room was needed and the congregation was offered the Carrington Road Church by the Wells family. It was moved to the site by Riddick Bros. and erected on the western boundary - a small section of it can be seen behind St Luke's in the photo above.

In 1997 the Methodist Church made a decision to concentrate their activities in Liardet Street and Fitzroy. It was reported the following year that St Luke's was no longer in use and sometime later the building was demolished or removed from the site.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion