Topic: Macduffs Building (King Street)
This building facing King Street sits on the same title as the one behind it on Devon Street West.
It was designed by T.H.Bates and erected in 1928 for the New Plymouth businessman, J.W.Kurta. A building permit was issued on 1 March, 1928 and the contractor was F.Grayling. The estimated cost was £2,475. The building behind it facing Devon Street West was also built for Kurta - see linked topic.
In the attached photograph taken in 1941 by Fred Butler the name Macduffs Ltd. can be seen on the verandah of the building. Macduffs Ltd. were a Wellington based company specialising in 'china and fancy goods'. In 1937 they amalgamated with Shillings Ltd. to establish a new company with 15 stores throughout the country. Shillings Ltd. had a store in Devon Street (and also facing King Street) and it appears this was re-branded as Macduffs Ltd.